With years of admired skill and craftsmanship, Southernwood Roofing & Siding has become one of the most trusted companies for exterior maintenance throughout Southern Maryland. We specialize in roof repair, roof replacement, and new installation services—and many times, our customers have lots of questions for us before the initial consultation. To help ease your mind and make the roofing process easier than ever, we’ve compiled a list of common roofing questions. Some of the most common questions our customers in La Plata, Maryland ask includes the following.
How can I tell if my roof needs repair?
In most cases, roofing issues can be discovered easily, and way before major (and expensive) problems occur. If you notice any of the following common roof problems, repair may be necessary:
- Leaks and moisture. Various forms of precipitation and weather events can cause moisture to seep under your shingles—potentially causing leaks in your roof.
- Critters. When it comes to your roof, small animals, birds, and insects are not friendly creatures. If you notice lots of animals frequenting your roof, an inspection may be necessary.
- Standing water. Have you noticed standing water on your roof? That’s a problem and can cause serious damage to your shingles and possible leaks.
- Lack of maintenance. Homeowners often neglect their roofing system until it begins to leak or other serious damage occurs. Not keeping an eye on the state of your roof is dangerous. Without routine inspection, you may shave years off the life of your roof and repairs will be more necessary.
When should I replace my roof?
Often, roof repair will fix any minor issue. But, on occasion, a roof replacement will be the smart decision. There are a few factors to consider if it’s time to replace your roof, including: age, past repairs, and appearance.
- Age. Most roofs generally last 20+ years. If your roof is approaching old age, it may be time to seriously consider replacement.
- Past repairs. If you have had lots of roof repair calls recently, or if you see evidence of water leaking inside your home, it may be less expensive to have your entire roof replaced.
- Appearance. When your shingles begin to curl, break, or warp it can look unpleasant. Consider replacing your roof to add charm to your home and neighborhood.
Do I have to replace my entire roof if it leaks?
Not necessarily. If the roof is leaking and only damages a small section, it is possible for only that section to be repaired. If, however, the entire roofing system has failed as a result of poor installation or subpar materials, then a new roof installation is appropriate.
How long will my new roof last?
Most modern roofing systems will last approximately 20 years. If well-maintained, some roofs may last even longer. Overall, the life of your roof depends on environmental conditions, proper installation and design, material quality, and adequate maintenance and repairs.
How do I choose the right roofing company?
The right roofing company will be experienced, certified, committed to excellent quality, and have an abundance of positive client testimonials. In order to make sure you are hiring the best, ask questions, look through reviews, and be sure to get a detailed quote before beginning work.
Need Roofing Services in Southern Maryland? Contact us!
When it comes to taking care of your Maryland home’s roof, you need a company you can trust. And that company is Southernwood Roofing & Siding. We’ve been providing unparalleled roofing services to La Plata area homeowners for the past decade—see why we’re the company your neighbors trust!
For all of your roofing needs and more, contact us today online or by calling 301.934.0043 !