When Should I Replace My Siding?
Far more than just one of the aesthetic centerpieces of your La Plata home, your siding provides defense against rain and snow, high winds, and even protection against heat loss and gain. It’s a very important aspect of your home, and one that should be maintained, repaired, and replaced as the situation dictates.
It’s the last one on that list we want to talk to you about today. Exactly when is siding replacement the right call? Follow along with Southernwood Roofing & Siding while we go over the giveaway signs of an impending siding replacement project.
Signs that Can Be Found with a Simple Visual Inspection
The good news is that you rarely, if ever, need to leave the decision of whether or not to replace your siding up to guesswork. Many of the common signs of worn-out siding are quite clear as long as you know what to look for. Start checking your siding monthly, and if you catch any of the following issues give your local La Plata residential contractor a call:
- Extensive missing materials. A single nail or siding anchor out of place, or a missing panel or plank—these things can be repaired. But if you find that your vinyl siding or wood siding is missing materials frequently, then either your siding has worn out to the point of needing to be replaced, or it was poorly installed in the first place.
- Rotting, warping, and other major disfigurements. A lot of problems can be repaired just fine, such as minor storm damage or a crack or two. But when your siding starts to shift and warp or shows extensive signs of rot, replacement is going to be not only the smarter choice, but the more cost-efficient one, too.
- The presence of mold and mildew. Mold grows rapidly and absolutely eats up siding. This is why most modern siding is either coated with mold-resistant material or uses materials that resist mold naturally. However, time or damage can open up your siding to the possibility of mold, and once it’s on your siding and taking over, it’s time for the siding to go.
Other Noteworthy Times That Call for Siding Replacement
Some signs are a little harder to determine with a quick glance, but they can still be easy to catch is you keep up to date with your home. You should also replace your siding if:
- The materials are past their normal lifespan. Materials like vinyl or wood can be expected to last 15-20 years just fine, and some higher quality products can last double that. However, over time materials will begin to wear out. If you’re not certain how long your siding should last, you can always reach out to a contractor to ask for a professional’s knowledge.
- Your siding has faded. Sometimes siding can be functionally fine, but may simply be ugly. Sun damage, fading due to weather or time, an out-of-date color or design—all of these are good reasons to talk to an expert about the potential advantages of a siding replacement!
Count on Southernwood Roofing & Siding for Siding Replacement in La Plata, MD
Is your siding showing any of the signs that a replacement is imminent? Or maybe you’re unsure and are in need of an expert’s eye. No matter your needs, you can trust the experienced, customer-focused siding contractors at Southernwood! We take your needs seriously, and our team strives to always give you the service you actually need, be it siding replacement, or simple siding repairs.
Contact us online today or give us a call at 301-934-0043 to learn more about La Plata siding replacement!